Thursday, May 17, 2012

Triathlon Sprint du Roi – Versailles


750m swim – 0h10’13
T1 – 0h01’37
20 km Bike – 0h37’57
T2 – 0h01’12
Run 5 km – 0h19’58

Last year was a mess: I just resumed training, and didn’t bother swimming much: a nightmare in the water, almost lost a wheel twice and survived the run.
I am ready to improve that.
Solid winter, great ramp up, bike wheels tightened, a full training week (including the 4h15 ride from the day before).



SWIM - Long warm up: bike, run, arm moving in the water…

Always long to get everyone in the water, so everyone is pushing & elbowing to go the front. The fast swimmers from Versailles have a special cap, so I stick to one of them right in the middle of the front line: hoping to have a good start and follow some good feet… Well, actually, I’m now 2nd or 3rd row. Not an issue after a few strokes normally.

Off we go, start the watch and check, ok.
Kick hard, swim gentle: I don’t want to get all panicky, but I want to be up front to get free water and get moving. My swimming ain’t there yet (or rather ain’t back yet, after winter nationals in March), but should do better than last year.
But I’m quickly stopped in my thoughts by the little room I have to swim, and the pulling & pushing I have to go through. Boy it’s rough.
Well, after 50 or 100m, it seems to settle down. I try to calm down and bring both my stroke & breathing together. It’s still a mess, breathing every stroke almost.
Now people are catching me up, pulling the feet: irritation (I’m gonna change into Hulk, wanting to hurt them…)!

The first buoy is 250m or 300m away, that should allow us to spread out and clear it neatly.
NOT! Even though I’m taking it wide, people are closing in, and here we go again for a washing machine session. I breath in some water: not good, starting to choke, passing the turn, choking some more, have to flip to back stroke, can’t put my arms to the side it’s so tight in there. Back to freestyle, but that’s it, I’m done: I’m not doing another sprint triathlon, that’s for sure.
Totally out of breath, I go out of the crowd, going wide even it it’s longer. I don’t care, this is just too crazy.
Note that in the rumble, I managed to stop the stopwatch! I have no clue how that’s possible (considering how small & how hard you need to push on the button gives an idea of the rough love we were in for).

Second buoy, very wide, no one is further away than me. I don’t mind, at least I have space.

Back to the long stretch, going back, I swim at my pace, not making any effort on technique or breathing, I don’t care. This sucks.
I see a pink hat guy nearby, we roughly swim at the same speed. I fall into a tempo and put aside the early frustration. I have a ride & a run to complete and I better put my mind to it.

Last turn, wide again, I got less than 100 m to go. I try to put some legs now (kicking) to get ready to run to the bike.
The feedback is not good: my legs feel SO heavy, it’s not even funny.
What’s going on here? I try again, same heaviness.
Again, it’s starting to get better.

I reach the ramp, I go far into it in order to stand up quickly. Volunteers are there to help us emerge from the water and get moving: thanks. That’s a great help.

Stop watch! Huh? It’s off! (I didn’t notice it got stopped during the aquatic wrestling). ON, again.
Now it’s up hill towards the bike, parked almost at the very end of T1. But first, running in mud, barefoot, while unzipping the wetsuit, that’s fun!
Olivier & some friends are around cheering. Thanks.

I’m really fighting with the wrists where the wetsuit get stuck. It’s difficult to run with a straight jacket!
I finally reach the bike, being passed by other seals (guys in wetsuits) or soon to be bikers (athletes already with their bike running to T1 exit). The ankles come out ok, I put on the GPS (turned it on), the bib belt, helmet, and off I go. Not very fast overall, but that’s ok. Now I want to go for it on the bike: stick to the group I’ll be in (vs. last year very I was dropped a couples of times: technical reasons & lack of bike strength).
STOP WATCH, again (for T1 time).



BIKE - The line to climb on is a little bit further than last year (more running) and since it’s crowded to get on the it, I run even further… Then I jump on it and pedal with the feet on top of the shoes.

Up hill it goes, then I put 1 shoe on, up hill, keeping some speed, hard turn, second shoe, that one just won’t come on… ok, now, up hill, tighten both sides, ok.
I’m in a small group, 4 or 5 riders. I’m spinning hard to stay in the wheel. This is an all out effort, no thinking beside not letting the gap increase.
I reach the top of the hill with the pack, yeah!

But then I get dropped on the next turn and slight down hill. I’m not focused enough.
I make the effort to stick back as the guy in front of me also happens to be dropped.
Double effort, but I make it back.
In the pack, remain you must! That’s the moto.

We enter the track where we’ll do 2 loops, on bad surface, and with some technical turns.
When I’m close to the wheel ahead, the effort is almost bearable. Drop a couple meters and it’s intense.
I happen to turn quite well compare to my fellow riders. It’s good because I can remain in the 2nd or 3rd position.
We start taking turns, awesome. Everyone (almost) is doing it. Great. It’s fun.

Then, a guy from Poissy rushes by, flying in TT position. Some hesitate, I don’t. Time to jump on his wheel.
The gap in pace is severe. Most of the group made it, grinding teeth for the moment.
U turn, I’m grateful for the slow down: I can regain a few spot closer to the Poissy guy, and I can recover a little. This is intense.

After the turn, Poissy guy drops back down to TT position again, and we’re in the red again. He remains in the lead all the time. I don’t have the strength to support him. And the other guys seem to be less borderline than me.

U turn again, Poissy guy keeps a huge gear and gets dropped, I stick to the group leader – yeah. And flies Poissy guy again. Acceleration. Man, it’s tough.
He finally opens up, offering the guys to take turn… No one goes, even the strong ones. As a turn starts, I jump in and lead for 30 sec may be, before letting someone go.

Soon, Poissy guy realizes that he’s quite alone: the strong guys are whooshing out, hiding, and I can’t help him much. I don’t have the fire power.
We’re reaching a challenging section: big turns & ups (quite steep too) & downs.
I’m taking a little margin allowing a gap with the rider in front of me as I want to be able to navigate my way. It’s risky as I know the last hill/turn is very tough. Fortunately, I end up in the mix at the top of the hill, catch the first wheel that comes around, and we’re back in the game. I’m quite happy with that!

Everyone is tired as the pace has dropped. Drink, chewing a tablet, drink, we’re back in line and Poissy guy is charging again. Soon, we’re back for a second loop.
It’s getting both more fun & more tense. More fun because we’re lapping people, and passing always feels good. More tense as it’s sometimes quite tight when we need to pass. Moreover, Poissy guy is getting pissed at the lack of participation of the other guys (I keep going up front for a short time).

Turns, obstacles, I seem to manage it ok. I cheer Poissy guy because he’s a great help for me.
Then we come to the last big challenging area, turns & hills. We all make in a similar manner, except 2 guys who decide to make a break. Being right next to Poissy guy, I hear him cussing. Again some cheers, I want to help him chase the suckers down.
Want & can are 2 different things. Fortunately other guys charge forward as I’m no help for chasing! Soon enough we regroup and finish the bike together, refueling in the last minutes on the saddle.

Shoes off, dismount from the bike (preferably w/o crashing please), ok. Run with the bike, it’s fine => less difficult than after the swim. WATCH ON. No need to look, and too dangerous.
More friends cheering. I know Olivier is waiting at the beginning of the run course.

Put stuff away, running shoes on, hat, and go. I got passed as I’m not totally stressed here. STOP WATCH.



RUN - The first portion is quite slippery, I know. So I take it somewhat easy. Then it’s onto the loop course, with Olivier cheering.

I don’t feel bad, the pace seems reasonable. But I can’t say I feel good. Patience is the key.
2 guys passed me in the slippery portion. I try to stick to them, but they move away.

I make funny noise with my shoes (barefoot in the shoes). It amuses me. It’s funny until another noise starts. I look down… NO! A shoe lace is undone. (But I did double knots prior to the start!)
What do I do? I have no choice but to stop.
I “pull over”, redo the knot, and here I go.

I try to think that I already feel better, but not really. I feel stuck in 2nd gear (vs. 1st gear in previous races). Patience.

After ½ loop, I have a guy breathing on my neck. I give him a sign to let him go. But he remains in the back. Ok.
So I start joking “I think I’m being followed” I tell the spectators… And as we reach a climb I decide to push it since I do feel better now. Let’s see if he can follow.
I put the pressure and it sounds like he ain’t following anymore! Happy me.
The heart rate is rushing now so let’s keep it that way. I try to increase my lead of the “breather” in the downhill (painful).
I’m now gaining on one of two guys from the very beginning of the run.

More cheers from Olivier & friends, I try to smile.

I pass the guy and a couple others. It feels good.
I’m preparing for the climb again. May be I can get another guy.
I come closer at the top of the hill but the juice is out. I can:
a. go all out, and puke my guts out at the finish to try to nail him
b. keep pressure hoping for his late fatigue…
I whoosh out and keep the pressure w/o digging that deep / that long: option b.

Down hill, passing lapped people, the guy is not weakening. That’s fine. I’m just prepared to sprint if someone attempts to overcome me as I reach the final turn.
2 guys are stalled in the turn, almost walking. Fine by me. I pass them.
I do the by-principle finish sprint checking behind, and the guy ahead is too far.

Take the hat off for the finish, and WATCH OFF.

After a couple minutes, I’ve calmed down, almost recovered. I realize, seeing others, I don’t sweat that much and I’m not totally out of it. I guess training DOES help.

Someone tells the time, approx 1h11, which is more than what I wanted.
Terrible swimming & transitions, decent biking, and disappointing run (slower that during a recent Olympic distance one).
I guess the fully loaded week shows after all. I did the job (almost max effort), that was the purpose of the race. Lactate & speed work.

Now it’s off to the real preparation: half distance IM in 3 weeks & IM in 9…


Time to finish


With Chaba, whom did a better job on the swim...

No comments: