Sunday, January 1, 2017

Caioba Olympic Triathlon RENAULT

3 weeks was the time under the vírus. Still coughing, and quite tired, I barely trained prior to the race.

Big week-end in the family w/the school play : Grease. 3 shows in 2 day so I had to leave Sunday morning (Sandy & Sullivan went to bed when I got up!).

ISC Grease presentation : busy week-end @ the Holderbachs

So, a little Olympic distance to see where we stand in spite of the little virus.

 
Morning review

1500 m swim without wetsuit 
Mini warm-up as I won´t take off too fast: I´ve only been back to the pool in the last 2 weeks. So I stand in the 3rd row, casual.

One ugly face - Copyright Rafael Dalalana

And we´re off, I get past by a few guys on the run. I steer towards the inside. Todinho is already far in front. I try to keep a reasonable pace. And yet I´m catching up some swimmers. Let´s do it progressively.

I settle into a nice little ryhthm, breathing the usual 3/2/3/2 so I don´t over-do it in the swim. I pass a guy who remain on my right for a while and I apparently reach the first buoy not so far after the pros. A good surprise.

I turn past the yellow buoy and take a few strokes to adjust the aim for the red one. It´s not visible all the time due to the swell. So I aim at the island a bit further to target it. One of the pros, I wish I could see his Garmin trace after the race, seems to be way too far to the left. So it makes me doubt: am I on the right course? Or do we have to go back to the sprint distance buoys?

Too late now, and the explanation was straight forward, so let me do the same. I work on my little tempo. The arms aren´t hurting (yet), nor are the abs. Breathing is fine too. Too easy ? No, there is still plenty ahead!
The rest of the stretch is uneventful as I reach the red bouy. There must some current here as I end up a bit to the right in the last strokes. I made a big breach from the other amateurs.

Turning towards the beach is surely good news, I´m not in the red and I´m well positioned.  The swell is now pushing us, making it even easier.
Navigation is the trick now. I look up more frequently. It´s a little bit more work but I want to be right on spot. 
With the trisuit or the top, the heart monitor had a hard time stay in place 

 I quickly reach the beach thinking already about the transition and the bike.
Even though it goes smoothly, I still don´t like to run right after swimmer, especially in soft sand.
Some friends mainly from the MTT team cheer as I go – no one in front, no one just after me.
Alex is even a little further (he´s “only” doing the bike leg today).

I swam without the top (shirtless) as wetsuit were not allowed and I don´t have a speedsuit (non floating material). So now I have the pleasure to put it on, on wet skin… And of course, a sleeve get stuck. I´m loosing time, rrrrrrr. Finally, I zip it shut, sun glasses, helmet and I´m off.
2 guys arrived in bike park during my transition, and one actually pulls out his bike right in front of me. I yell so he can let me through. He does. And we run together almost to the line to “jump” on the bike.

40km bike without drafting
I start pedaling, first turn, first speed bump, and I fit the first shoe on. The second is a bit of struggle for some reason. My new friend takes advantage of this and passes me. Well, the truth is that he simply has better cycling legs. I´d like to think I´ll catch him on the run, but that´s too soon and quite presumptuous…

As I reach the main road (after 26 speed bumps – may be… just too many), I try to settle in a good rhythm. I have done much bike intensity and I didn´t ride for a week or so. It´s not a dramatic situation because I´ve been riding steadily in the last months. My friend is long gone: “not going to see that one again”, cf. when we play card game…
I have to come the conclusion that my bike legs aren´t there. Insensity is there, cadence is there, but in the end, I barely reach a 35kph average. Not good for an Olympic (for me).
I´m all alone so I have no alternative than to be patient, and endure. So I drink out of my single bottle – 750 cl for 1hr sounds right.

I feel the burn in the buttocks. Aero position gets you that way… It feels like I have have a slight headwind. I hope I can pick up a couple extra kph on the way back. In Caioba, it´s a simple course, get out of town, ride straight until you hit the 20km mark, and turn around!
But 2 guys pass by without the possible to jump on the train. Once again, I´d like to think otherwise, but reality hurts: Philippe, my French compatriot, is one of them! And he is in the Age group above mine (he´s older!). That hurts. I know Philippe is a top athlete but still, the way he dropped me tells a lot about my condition: not great.

I drink a gel and a lot of water. I realize I might run out of water before the end of the bike. Note that there is no aid station on the bike course. May be not so bright choice to go w/a single bottle…
In the distance, Philippe is dropping the other guy. And both inexorably get smaller and smaller in front of me. Patience.

I see the pros coming back. Todinho seems to be in the lead. The usual winner is only in 4th position, but looking extremely comfortable. Too comfortable? Because the gap is significant.
Soon enough, it´s my turn to turn around:
- bad news, there was no headwind. It seems the head wind is strong on the way back! L
- good news, Philippe doesn´t seem that far in front. And not too many guys passed me, yet. I must be in a good position in my age group, if not in the lead.

I resume the routine, checking out how fast look my immediate followers – it´s always funny how they look fast… But on the reassuring side, they have caught me up yet… It´s not that bad.
A young passes, at a reasonable pace vs. mine. Time to catch the train. If I want to make a good race rank, I need to stick to him, within legal drafting distance.
Even at 7 or 8m, I feel the difference. Getting to speed was a little harsh, but now things are smoothing down.

I see some teammates, I take 2nd gel half way back. And I´m running out of water.
We keep the pace, the legs start burning.
We enter back in town, with all the speed bumps, and even the “cobble” stones (in concrete). I´m careful not to get dropped here. It would be too bad.
We reach the final stretch side by side. Getting ready for the second transition now.
Last turn, shoes undone, dismount line, we´re still run side by side now.
Bike on the rack, race number on, shoes on, I grab the last gel + my hat, and I´m off for the last leg: 10km run in the waterfront of Matinhos. I hope there is a little breeze: the sun is strong, and there is no shade on the course.
My buddy from the bike is now passing me, I transitioned better, but he runs faster. Much faster.

10km run without Segway
I settle into my own pace. I need to manage to finish strong, that´s the objective. And the question is how close to 40mn (vs. 45mn) can I get?
It´s all about feel, no heart rate control, just feeling, with the heat.

But the first km comes as a sanction: 4´25. Oh boy, it´s gonna be a long one! (4´30 average = 45 mn for 10km).
Anyway, no choice. Let´s keep moving. I need water. We´ll see about the time later. Todinho seems to have lost the lead. But he looks good.

The first aid station comes “quickly”. Water feels good! Another guy flies by – a young one. Don´t care.
And the 2km, same verdict (4´27). The pace is on the wrong side, on the 45mn + side…
But soon, the turn around. Not so far is Philippe. I didn´t have him in mind, but now he doesn´t seem out of reach.

First lap - still feel good

Re-aid station. I start also pouring water on my head, to keep cool.
And then, big surprise, the clock must be wrond: I dropped the pace to 4´15 now. Without changing anything, just getting the legs going and the motivation back with Philippe at sight.


As I close the first lap, Todindho is still on the job for the second lap and the other (first lap) still look “fresh”.
I move progressively closer to Philippe, but only very progressively. But I feel great, and the watch keeps showing 4’17s or so.
Reaching the halfway, in front of the Manocchio tent, more water, feeling fine. 21 minutes and something. That´s great, and much better the I started off with.
Back in the waterfront, now is time to pass Philippe, gradually. Pace is good, the legs are holding well, quite well actually. Heart is fine too. It´s just getting hot.

By the 7km aid station, I passed him, but I start to feel the burn. But it´s almost over.
With the turn-around, I now seek for the up-runners – who´s gonna catch me next? I´m concerned about “moustache”. Not sure of his age group, but he´s moving – faster than me I think.
I just need to hold it together for the 2 more km, only 8mn1/2!
Easier than said than done!
I now wish I had done more core work, and more speed work. Because I´m falling apart. So I try to focus on the form. And keep the pace. And I do just that: it´s “just” (much) more painful.
1km to go, and Moustache passes. I can´t pick up the pace. I stick to my max. My legs are hurting big time.
Keep it together, that´s my objective. Soon I reach the team tent – with a lot of cheers. But another goes by, I try to respond. It lasts 20m, max. I can´t go any faster.

I reach the finish line, 2h13. Not so bad.
I need to sit, quickly… And I « need » to check my run time : 42mn
Overall, 5th on the swim, with a crappy 1´26 average.
36,5km average on the bike, with a fair 146 bpm.
And a satisfactory 4:19/km average, with 156 bpm, reaching 166 bm. So 2h13 is good news.

French harvest 


Some of Manocchio Triathlon Team trophees


No comments: